Saturday, August 11, 2012

Life is a Highway

I'm afraid of heights. I never get too close to the edge of anything when I'm up high. No matter how much glass or metal railing is between me and the abyss, I won't go near it.

But roller coasters? I love them. And sometimes, the taller and more ridiculous the drop, the more anxious I am to get on it. I ride them to get out of my comfort zone, to challenge myself. There's just something to be said for the feeling of exhilaration you get while riding. High-speed turns! Massive drops! You don't know what's coming next, and while it's a little scary, it's also really exciting.

Apparently my love for roller coasters has translated into other areas of my life, namely my relationships. Most of us have been there. You meet someone and they're different and exciting. All new relationships have that element. Wondering whether you should call or if they'll call. Getting to know them. The first brush of hands. The first kiss. The first time. Each of those is a huge rush and the anticipation is almost enough to kill you.

Where we run into trouble is when that feeling never goes away. You've been dating for 3 months and you're still wondering if she's going to call. You wonder when he's going to introduce you to his friends. Six months has come and your'e still only seeing each once a week. He doesn't want to spend more time with you. She's still talking to her ex-boyfriends, but they're "just friends."

But all your concerns go out the window when you're together. You feel like it's almost magical. Because when you're together, it's all about you. You're back on that ride. The rush you feel when he holds your hand, caressing your thumb.  When she pulls you out of the way and kisses you so passionately you think you're going to explode on the spot. You just get this feeling that he or she knows you so well. Ultimately, you figure the highs outweigh the lows and the cycle continues. At least until it ends, because all roller coaster rides do.

What we seem to ignore the value of a steady relationship. Something more like a long drive on a highway. No, you're not going to have all of the exhilaration of 100 foot drops and hairpin turns. What you get instead is the potential for loads of beautiful scenery. The depth and breadth that comes only when you make a significant investment of time and emotion. There's a deep satisfaction in seeing all that can grow when you get past the first touch, the first kiss, and first time.

The real bonus is that it's a ride that doesn't have to end.

No comments: